Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl????

I confess.  My idea of a "super bowl" is about 12 inches in diameter and is full of buttery popcorn and m-and-m's.  Heaven!  I am not a super bowl fan.  Though I can certainly appreciate the athletic talents and the discipline that is required, I just don't get the mania.  Acting like maniacs for complete strangers kind of escapes me. Honestly, there is no judgement when I say that.  I have dear, dear friends that get very worked up over team athletics.  Sunday matinees at "Beauty and the Beast" were full of offstage inquiries, "Did they score?", "Who's winning?", or "La,la,la,la! (With fingers in HER ears) Don't tell me, I have it DVRed." Now, it's not like I didn't grow up around football fans. I have vivid memories of many a Sunday afternoon nap after church being interrupted by my brother (Happy Birthday, Tim!) and my Dad yelling at the TV at "the stupid ump". Oh wait, I think it was the "stupid ref."And I did go through a, be it ever small, Cowboy fan phase when Troy Aikman was still handsome to look at.  I mean, let's admit, he looks like he's been through a few "Rocky" movies now.
The only thing I can relate to this madness of this special football Sunday is The Tony Awards, the super bowl of Broadway. Man, what a dream it would be if everyone, not just the gays and theatre nerds, threw Tony tailgate parties with gourmet hors d'ouevres and unrestrained fervor.  While I can honestly appreciate the celebration of a strangers gifts and talents, I just don't see me turning red faced, yelling at Patti LuPone on the TV, "Enunciate!!!!".  Though, I did give a controlled whoot-whoot when she won her Tony for Rose in "Gypsy".
So tonight, I will be watching the commercials and cleaning the kitchen during the game. I will pop my own version of a Super Bowl and smile thinking of all my crazy fan friends, knowing at least some of them will like the end results.  Then I will happily watch Glee.

No comments:

Post a Comment