Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Miss Exit Applause

Back in my Broadway The-a-tuh days, I was lucky to be in the very talented and generous company of Beauty and the Beast.  I played Silly Girl #1.  There were three "Sillies" and we were the desperate yet comedic tramps who swooned for Gaston's attention.  Our part wasn't huge.  We didn't even get our own bow at the curtain call. Boo! But it was really fun.  The three of us  had to work closely and feel and feed off each other to create anything remotely funny. We were a bit like the Three Stooges with great cleavage.  Lots of bumps, faints, trips, etc.  Every now and then, as we would exit from our scene, we could here some gratitude from the audience in the the beautiful form of exit applause.  Exit applause, in my opinion, is quite different from entrance applause, or end of the show applause.  Entrance applause often is bestowed upon celebrities or well-known theatre royalty, as a way of saying, "Yay!  We are glad to see you."  But it is not always given because  the actor is an outstanding talent, though there are many who are.  End of the show applause is polite.  Even at the worst show I have ever seen, which shall remain nameless, I still applauded, because I am nice.  Exit applause says, "Man, that was so good I want you to know right now, even if it slows down the next entrance."  At least that's what it said to me.

To be honest, I miss it.  I have a small circle of people that I see each day. My husband, my daughter, my boss, and various customers in the boutique where I work part-time.  They are all great and supportive people, don't get me wrong.  I am lucky to have them.  My life right now just doesn't have many exit applause worthy moments.  And I will admit, I am needier for this validation than others.

So for now, I will relish in my memories of multiple hands clapping together for  me and my other two Sillies,  and manifest more exit applause worthy moments in my new life.

8 comments:

  1. Well, I'll gladly give you applause to your continuing to write. Way to go sista! [applause!] Cheers to you on post #5! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your post. I took 7 long years off and couldn't put the perfect words together to express how I was feeling like you just did. You are an artist through and through. I saw an interview with Julie Andrews a while back. She was talking about the fact that she misses singing but she has a great outlet in writing her books for kids. You are reminding me of her right now. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!!!! I love your writing! Keep it up! much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for reading and responding, ladies.
    Melissa, I am so glad you are back in the game and I have had the honor of sharing the stage and the dressing room with you recently.
    LJ, you are one talented lady as well. You inspire me that you have found new places for applause in your neck of the woods.
    Jen, I so appreciate the cheerleading. Your blog is so good it. It's a great standard for the rest of us to atempt to reeach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I was never on Broadway,I can really relate to this. It has taken me years to find something that I love and have passion for, although there is no exit applause!!!

    I love this blog, and do miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandi, I believe you will feel and hear the exit applause as your inspire others to be fit and healthy through pilates! All the best to you on your journey. Miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've teared up reminiscing about this. I miss it and you soooo very much!!! I am so proud of you for this blog. Keep it up Silly #1. Love, Silly #2

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love your blog that I was looking back to see which entries I missed and came upon this one! (OMG, you know it's nearest and dearest to my heart!)
    And although you're worth applauding from the front, I'd gladly applaud that booty walking off too!
    Love you,
    Silly #3 (last but not least)

    ReplyDelete