Thursday, February 24, 2011

New Favorites

I am no Oprah, but I do have a few new favorite things that I want to share.  Sorry.  I will not be giving all readers keys to a new car or a cruise to Australia.  However, you could find something new that just might bring a little joy to your life.
New Favorite Album:  Waitress by Meaghan Farrell. I love her raw voice.  I want to be as cool as her.  We sang at the same benefit a few years ago and I said to myself that this girl needs to be heard.  Now you can buy her album on itunes.  I have been cooking to it for weeks now.
Check out her video here. I love "Lost in My Life"... she sings "sing away all the pain"- I can relate to that lyric. And "Waitress" is perfect for any of us who have waited tables. Smart, quirky and positive!!!!

New Favorite Recipe: Minestrone with Roasted Veggies and Whole Grain Pasta. I know it's not very sexy.   I am not usually a big minestrone fan.  But I loved this!!!!  I have been on a veggie roasting kick since the blizzard and I think that's the secret to this great tasting not too tomatoey soup.  Even better as left-overs!!
40 minutes prep/serves 8
3 medium zucchini, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
   Salt and pepper
4 c low-sodium veg broth
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15 oz canred kidney beans, undrained
1 tsp dried oregano
2 c cooked small whole grain pasta shells

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees
2. Place zucchini, carrots, and bell peppers in a large roasting pan. Toss with oil.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Roast veggies for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and tender.  Set aside.
3. In a large soup pot, combine broth with tomatoes with their juice and undrained beans.  Stir to combine.  Add oregano.
4.  Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium low.  Add roasted vegetables.  Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in cooked pasta and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.

New Favorite Book:  This Is Not The Story You Think It Is... A Season of Unlikely Happiness 
                                   by Laura Munson
I couldn't put this book down.  She not only speaks my language about choosing happiness and not letting outstanding circumstances take away your joy, but she lives in the most beautiful place I have ever been that got under my skin ( in a good way) last summer.  I feel a kindred spirit with her.  I suggest following her blog too.  She is also a frequent writer for The Huffington Post.  If you only read one book this year, this should be it.  I put it on reserve at my library and read it for free.

Old Favorite Coffee:  Cafe Bustelo. The best cheap coffee ever.  I can even find it at Wal-Mart in OKC.

Share your favorite things.

2 comments:

  1. The book is amazing. I downloaded it when you suggested it awhile ago. I read it while I waited in an airport for 9 hours...to not get on a flight home. I chose happiness...sorta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so glad you liked it. Sorry about the airport thing, but it what a great example of a circumstance that could so easily rob us of our happiness. 9 hours...oy!

    ReplyDelete