Tuesday, February 8, 2011

As Long As It's Not Life-Threatening

Last November,  I was waiting so patiently for a fertility doctor's appointment and grabbed a random magazine to flip through. I was trying to avoid the numerous pregnant women who seem to unknowingly taunt my barren womb as they approach the receptionist's desk with their glow.  I buried my head in Working Mother and read an article about Samantha Bee.  She is a writer for The Daily Show and author of I Know I Am, But What are You? She's a comedian and mother of three small children.  Really cool chick.  Seems like someone I'd enjoy.  I was extremely intrigued when asked about her parenting style. Here's her response:
   There's no "bad cop" in the household.  We're very laid-back.  We tend to think about things in stark terms. If it's not life-threatening, we let the kids do it. 
Often feeling like the "bad cop", I couldn't believe what I had just read.  My friend and fellow blogger calls it "hard core parenting".  Check her out! Seriously? You just let them do it.  There's no lesson to be taught? What about boundaries? So I go home to discuss this point of view with "good cop" husband.  He agrees with the comedian.
So I decided to give it a try.  I realized how much I was trying to control my daughter's behavior.  And I understood why I was so exhausted at the end of most days.  It's a losing battle.  They are going to be who they are going to be. I have a few friends back in our old neighborhood who seem to have this laissez-faire approach down.  And truthfully, their children are gems.  They are smart and funny and have good manners.  As I began to stop white-knuckling my hold on Peanut's behavior, I realized that she mostly made the right choices.  When she didn't, it wasn't necessary for me to pound the lesson in her brain. She got it.  Most importantly, I enjoyed being a parent even more.  I assume she must have enjoyed her not-nagging-as-much mother too.
I still feel like "bad cop" when I continuously have to remind everyone that it is bath time.  But I see how she deeply enjoys her time with her dad, because he is focused on her and not her behavior. I am learning to choose my parenthood battles and continually tell myself that as long as it's not life-threatening, I guess it's okay. Looks like I still have many lessons to learn too.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! You're blogging! And thank you for the linky love.

    Yes, staying up late is not life threatening, but when they have to go to school the next day or when you're the one dealing with a whiner all day, you may re-affirm bath & bedtime.

    Yes, choose your battles and you know what works best for your peanut. And I happen to like boundaries and routine. I suspect you do too.

    Welcome to the blogosphere darling Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, my inspiring friend! Your post yesterday just reminded me of this on-going conversation. What I found was a balance between constantly harping and allowing her some freedom.
    I forgot to mention that just last week, I randomly received the same issue of Working Mother at our new home, unsolicited from me. Hmmmm. Guess the Universe thought I needed a reminder. And truth is, I probably did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post- it's such a valuable lesson we could all use reminding of. There are so many times I catch myself about to tell my daughter to stop this or that and then I stop and think why am I stopping her? Just to feel in control of the situation, because I'm too tired to actively participate in an activity with her, or because it is truly not safe. Usually it's the first two reasons and I try to back off. I think that by letting our kids have more freedom, they are subconsciously learning self regulation (that is, with proper guidance).

    I'm so glad your blogging. I think a lot of us can relate to where you are at in your life!

    ReplyDelete