Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ssssssselebrating My Uniquenessssssssssssssss

This may seem hard to believe, but I was almost 30 before I really realized I had a lisp, a sibilant S, any sort of speech issue.  Apparently, when I was a child it had been suggested to my parents to send me to a speech therapist, but they didn't want it to become something I was self-conscious about.  As a parent now, I completely understand and appreciate their decision to just let me be me.  I am sure back then, they had no idea I'd want to be an actress.  Fast forward to college, where my voice teacher mentioned it to me, but almost in passing, so I didn't think much of it and therefore didn't seek any assistance.   I was only reminded of it when stupid college boys would mimic me, like they were funny and clever.  But still, I guess I was dense or in complete denial, it never occurred to me that I REALLY had a lisp.
Moving on to 2001, I had message on my answering machine (Remember those?) from a former co-worker who was studying to be a speech therapist and wanted to know about my speech therapy history, ya know, backstory.  Y'all ( say that with the heaviest Southern accent possible), this threw me for a loop.  You mean, people can tell I have a lisp?  Seriously, this went through my mind.  By this time, I had been working steadily in NYC, on Broadway and National Tours and in classes and no one had ever referred to any speech issue.  I began to walk down a very dark tunnel of doubt, after this.  I did seek out a speech therapist, who was somewhat helpful. However, by now I am 30 and it's tough to to teach an old dog a new way to speak.  I was also on the hunt for a new agent at this time and I met with a particularly horrible man, with bad plugs I might add, who compared me to Winthrop, the lisping boy, in Music Man.  To my face. This sent me reeling even further.  I continued to study with the therapist for a while longer, but it wasn't cheap.  My money would've been better spent on a psychotherapist, which came a few years later. (Best gift I EVER gave myself!!!!)
Here I am today.  I am a grown woman turning 40 this year and fully aware and embracing this part of me.  How I speak truly is a part of who I am.  If I changed to sound like everyone else, I feel like I might be the Jennifer Grey of lispers. So I share this clever lisper with you(beware, it is slightly off color), because I love it and it reminds me to be proud of all partsssss of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment