Friday, March 4, 2011

Love and Generosity

11 years ago today, I married the love of my life.  Insert collective  "Awwww" or  pantomime gagging.  Either way you react, I love this day of the year.  Our anniversary reminds me of what a lucky lady I am.  I married a man who is kind, funny, handsome, uber-talented, helpful, supportive, encouraging, a great dad and he calls me on my sh*t.  Yet, this day reminds me of why I am lucky beyond just my great taste in a spouse.  You see, 11 years ago, Husband  and I were both in Broadway shows. I was in "Beauty and the Beast" and he was in "Saturday Night Fever."  We were busy planning a wedding back in Texas while living in NYC and like any wedding planning, I felt  a bit stressed.  One night a few weeks before the wedding, I got a phone call from Husband's cast mate and friend telling me that a few guys from the show want to surprise him and could I try to get him to show up at a particular restaurant after the show one night.  Sure.  Easy enough. I can't even remember what my excuse was, but I was also suppose to show up with him for a second to say hello. After my show, I meet him at the stage door and we walk a few blocks with my cast mate who says she's meeting her friends for a drink. Fast forward, Husband and I walk into John's Pizza and go upstairs to be greeted by both of our entire casts who cheered us on and hollered "Surprise!"  My cast mate and dear friend arrived right after.  She had thrown us off any suspicious scent. We felt so celebrated.  They showered us with gifts and a small box that we opened to find $500 worth of $5 bills taped together in a long roll.  If you have never been a part of the community of actors, stagehands, dressers, stage managers, any theater people, then you probably don't know that they are the most generous selfless group around.
So, March 4th always, always brings a smile to my face.  I remember how 2 days before my wedding I had a horrible stomach virus, but woke up feeling fantastic on the big day. I remember being surrounded by my family and close friends who flew and drove many miles and endured a hail storm to witness our day.  I remember my bridesmaids who rescheduled a spa day surprise around my inopportune sickness.  I remember how special our vows were, including both tears and laughter. But a huge memory that I hold very dear to me, is the ridiculous amount of love and generosity that our co-workers, who were also  our friends, bestowed upon us.  Each year,  we celebrate our love, but we also celebrate the love that has been continually given to us over the years.  That's how we have made it this far.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jen...love your blog! Love, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tami! I appreciate your support. It means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen~
    I love how Kind your blog is. Kindness is lost a lot in this world, and having children I am doing my best to teach it to them. Your blog is the perfect example of how I would love my 2 daughters to be....truly Kind.
    Much love,
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brought a tear to my eye recalling all the amazing generosities we have been a part of in that fabulous community. There is truly none other! Thanks for reminding me Jen. And happy belated anniversary you two sick love birds :)

    ReplyDelete