Thursday, April 14, 2011

To Do List: Things to do for yourself

#1  Give your underwear an overhaul. I was getting ready for bed the other night, when I noticed and chuckled at the size of my bra as I was removing it.  This is the most comfortable bra I have ever owned and it's not because it was super expensive.  I am not even sure where or when it was purchased.  I think it feels so good to wear because I was fitted by a pro. The cup size sounds shockingly big to me because I am not someone they called "Jugs" in college. However, this is the size recommended to me.  Okay I'll just spit it out.  It's a 34D. Yes, a D cup!  "Take that!" I say to the girls in the 7th grade who put a contraption in my locker that was basically a Thighmaster for bigger boobs.  It was a cheap plastic pink thing shaped like two ovals with a strong spring in the middle that one would squeeze, I assume : / while chanting, "I must. I must. I must increase my bust." Whew!  That felt good to get off my chest. Back to the To Do List.  Women, go see a professional bra fitter.  You won't regret it and will probably be shocked at how many years you have been wearing the wrong size.  I was wearing a 32 or 34B.  Ouch. We all know that our bodies change as we age and breasts are no exception.  Gravity is just not kind to that area, so go get a little help. We can still look perky at any age and say good-bye to the extra rolls our bras give us by digging into our skin. Men, since you don't wear bras, please for heaven's sake, throw out the holey underwear.  I recently heard a quote where you can tell the state of the economy by looking in a man's underwear and sock drawer. So true, right? Well, if things are tight, waistbands included, then keep an eye out for a sale at Target and buy yourselves a different kind of six pack.

#2 Turn off the noise.  I was sitting in front of the TV after putting Peanut to bed and nothing was on. Husband was gone. I don't have DVR, so I couldn't just watch something I like to watch that I had taped.  Usually, my routine would be to watch a show and do the dishes and picking up during commercials.  But this particular night, I just turned it off.  I did the dishes in silence. Ahhh, silence. I had forgotten you. Normally, I might have otherwise chosen to listen to some tunes. I listened instead to the sound of the wind(I am in Oklahoma.  There's lots of it!) and the tip tap of my dogs toes on our wood floor.  I remained in silence for the rest of the night. And I actually was much more productive. I moved on to some hand-washables, a more strenuous cleaning of my stovetop, and sat down to read a book.  It soothed my soul more than a repeat of Oprah or a the "kuh-kuh" sound of Law and Order: SVU ever could.  I felt a bit decadent. Try it.

#3 See a therapist.  No, seriously.  This is the God's honest truth. I can think of no better way to spend your money than to see a professional who can reveal and help you change those patterns you might be doing over and over and over again.  It's just pretty simple in my book.  You won't regret this one for sure.  Seriously. The best gift you can give to yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Done, done and dun-dun. I couldn't agree more on all three fronts. Before the holidays I went on a bra-spree and it felt good. I yearn for silence and try to get a little bit everyday. Everyone needs quiet time, especially Mommy. And finally, have been seeing a couple-couples therapist now for a few months and what a difference they have made for both of us. Cheers Jen!

    ReplyDelete